Commitment to persons with disabilities
Gateway is committed to treating all people in a way that allows them to maintain their dignity and independence. We believe in and strive for integration and equal opportunity. We are committed to meeting the needs of people with disabilities in a timely manner and will do so by meeting accessibility requirements under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (the “AODA”).
1. Gateway is committed to excellence in serving all of our customers including people with disabilities in the following areas:
- Dignity – Respect the dignity of a person with a disability. Treat them as customers and clients who are as valued and as deserving of effective and full service as any other customer.
- Independence – People who may move or speak more slowly should not be denied an opportunity to participate in a program or service because of these factors. A Gateway employee should not hurry them or take over a task for them if they prefer to do it themselves in their own way.
- Integration – Allow people with disabilities to fully benefit from the same services, in the same place and in the same or similar way as other customers. Sometimes, integration does not serve the needs of all people with disabilities. In these cases it is necessary to use alternate measures to provide goods or services.
- Equal Opportunity – Allow people to have the same chances, options, benefits and results as others. In the case of services, it means that people with disabilities have the same opportunity as others to benefit from the way Gateway provides goods or services. They should not have to make significantly more effort to access or obtain service. They should also not have to accept lesser quality or more inconvenience.
2. Communication and Documentation
- When communicating with a person with a disability, Gateway employees will do so in a manner that takes into account the person’s disability.
- When providing a copy of a document to a person with a disability, Gateway shall give the person the document, or the information contained in the document, in a format that takes into account the person’s disability.
3. Personal Assistive Devices
Gateway permits customers with disabilities to use their own personal assistive devices provided the assistive device does not jeopardize or interfere with the integrity and assets of the organization.
4. Gateway Assistance Provided
Gateway may offer a person with a disability other reasonable measures to assist the person in obtaining, using or benefiting from Gateway’s goods and services.
5. Support Persons
- Gateway ensures entry of customers with disabilities accompanied by a personal support person into Gateway premises, subject to applicable age restrictions.
- Standard costs will apply to personal support workers accompanying persons with disabilities at special events.
6. Service Animals
A person with a disability may enter Gateway premises accompanied by their guide dog or service animal in areas of the premises that are open to the public, unless the animal is excluded by another law. If a service animal is excluded by law, other measures to provide services to the person with a disability may be used.
7. Notice of Disruptions in Service
- Gateway will make reasonable efforts to provide notice to customers, when possible, if services are unavailable.
- When a disruption occurs unexpectedly, notice shall conspicuously be posted as soon as possible.
- Gateway will acknowledge customer feedback in a timely manner that takes into account the customer’s disability.
- Gateway will capture and track customer feedback through available tracking systems.
- All persons to whom this policy applies will receive training as required by the Accessibility Standards for Customer Service.
- Accessible Customer Service training has been provided to all Ontario Gateway employees. Gateway’s Ontario New Hire program incorporates an AODA Accessible Customer Service segment to ensure all employees are trained.
10. Availability of Gateway Accessibility Policy
Public access to the annual Gateway Accessibility Policy will be available in alternate formats upon request. Requests should be forwarded to:
Please click here to read our Multi-Year Accessibility Plan in PDF format.